Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My baby garden tyrants

As I mentioned in a previous post, I sowed some pumpkin seeds in hopes that I could have a healthy pumpkin harvest come Halloween. My little babes have greatly exceeded any expectations I had for them. About 4-5 days after living inside my germination station (note: a 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub lined with moist paper towels, sitting out in the sun) the pumpkin seeds were full on plants! Granted, they still don't have their second set of leaves in yet, but holy crap! WTF DID I DO? I thought I would only be lucky enough to get one of the suckers to grow...
Anyway, now I have a dilemma on my hands. It's absolutely imperative that I find a living space for these monsters I've created. If you're not already aware, pumpkins grow out in vines that will literally take over your garden if you don't watch out. Of course, having about half and acre to work with makes things less difficult. However, this half acre is literally covered in trees. I'm under the impression that my little pumpkins will do a lot better if they have a good amount of time under the sun.
So, I've cleared out a nice area that gets about 6-8 hours of sun after noon time and I will soon be making my little tyrants a home by way of a raised wooden planter. I'm thinking of making it about 4' long by 2' wide. Currently, the tropical depression we're under is making it impossible to take any good pictures without flash - but the minute the sun comes out to grace us with its presence, I will provide plenty of photographic goodness. <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment