Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rain, rain, go away. You're ruining my hydroponics

It's been raining for days now, which kinda spoils my gardening fun. I was really starting to enjoy the constant watering of my garden to keep my flowers and veggies from burning up in the unbearable heat. Now they're good and quenched and they look fabulous. My water lilies are blooming like mad, and the herbs look crisp and delicious.

Unfortunately, all this rain is no good for my outdoor hydroponic station.

As you can see, it's sitting outside. We decided to opt for natural sunlight to save on the cost of a sun lamp. The picture you see here is minus one plant - a red bell pepper. The little tomato on the right didn't make it. :(
On the left we have a big healthy tomatillo, which has yet to produce any fruit since we brought it home. And now, the rain has overflowed the tub and we're going to have to dump the water and and re-do the nutrients. I really hope my little dudes don't die of shock.

At some point, I'm going to sit down with boyfriend and write out a how-to for the system we have. It's really simple and fun and best of all, it's cheap as hell.

In the meantime, I'm going to go clip some herbs and enjoy a very rainy memorial day weekend.
<3

1 comments:

Pooka said...

i say, keep it out of the rain- or youre going to have to re do the nutrients everytime it rains!

Post a Comment